Search This Blog

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Reflection on project 1: Striptease

I've never commanded like that before.

Not outright. Not in a way that actually had people listen and follow.

A taste of power! Bwa ha ha ha!

Ahem.

That first performance was not actually thought of on the spot -- I brought the cloak thinking I might use it if I had the courage to perform despite having missed two days of class. Turns out it wasn't as difficult as I thought.

As for the performance itself --

I got the idea from the course description in the syllabus, the one about using our own bodies as a medium for performance. My immediate reaction was "well if it means wild movements that involve kicking up my legs, I don't want to do that because I don't like showing my legs, so ON WITH THE CLOAK.

I maintain that the "tease" part of "striptease" means it can go either way. I chose MY WAY because I don't like to subject anyone to the interstate.


It's only interesting if you use photoshop filters, unless you're driving through the Alleghenies, my God that place is beautiful.

Anyway, I didn't get to do everything I wanted to do, because I forgot. I could have commanded Haley to leave the gravel and I could have turned off the lights on the stage. But everything else went well. Except that when I got into the darkroom I had no idea how to end the performance. I couldn't see anyone because of the hood so I wasn't certain what people were doing. I fully meant to forbid use of the light, but I did so before somebody turned it on, so that went a bit different than expected.

But you all liked it, so.


2 comments:

  1. I thought you came up with the performance on the spot because it was your first day but I wasn't sure until just now. Very impressive Eve!
    I think the most brilliant art is the art that tickle our curiosity and leave people wonder. Its "tease" element was consistent throughout your entire performance that it didn't seem like you spontaneously came up with it on the spot. The way you walked so quickly and dominantly really added up to the effect too. You mentioned that you didn't know when to come out from underneath the table or how to end the performance and that's a totally understandable concern. If I were you, I would just stay there, let the audience wait for as long as they could be patient for and come out when you hear the clap. THAT would be a real tease show!
    Generally speaking, your performance was a success. I think you should elaborate more with the teasing element. You were really good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through this post, I know that your good knowledge in playing with all the pieces was very helpful. I notify that this is the first place where I find issues I've been searching for. You have a clever yet attractive way of writing. Striptease

    ReplyDelete